Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Conflict with criticisim

Now I admit I am a very timid guy who is afraid of what others think of me. So when I heard that people felt my theory was foolish I was too frightened to publish it. I know what you people may be thinking, oh he is a grown man why is he afraid to speak his mind. I was afraid of being condemned and mocked even from those who knew me. I did not want to be the laughing stock of the whole country. So I was left to defending my pride and remaining silent about my new theory. I was determined to publish my theory before I died and when I did so it led me to my death bed. I was sentenced to death for my new theory one thing I was very terrified of. I was shunned from the church where my theory had shown the church was incorrect. Of course the church was not too happy about my theory and argued I had no clue what I was talking about. They wanted to show I was a mad man, because if this proved the church was wrong then who knows what else they lied about. The church saw me as a threat, as Marin Luther a religious reformer stated "the fool who will turn the whole science of astronomy upside down." I was mocked as I feared as a school composed an unappealing play about me. I am embarrassed though my research has done nothing but good. So now I have build up my confidence and my ability to speak freely.

2 comments:

  1. As your fellow astronomer, I have complete faith that you will prevail against the Church and other petty folk. God has granted you the power of knowledge and ideas that you have shaped and developed into the grand discovery of a heliocentric universe! Without you, I would have not been inspired to develop my compilation of star charts. I do hope your efforts will greet success, as it will bring you relief and a piece in mind. Sir Copernicus, you need not be afraid of being the greatest man on earth!

    Sincerely, and may the stars be with you:
    Tycho Brahe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Copernicus,
    I see that you are in trouble with the church because of your bold attacks. I admire your valor; however I believe you are very foolish. Can science ever coexist with religion? I believe that it can and I hope that you would stop attacking the divine institution.

    With all due respect,
    Blaise Pascal (From the FUTURE)

    ReplyDelete